Saturday, July 7, 2007

Our Arizona Life

Since I just let a bunch of folks know about my blog, I thought I should try to catch everyone up to this point--well, at least the major stuff that's happening with us.

Chris and I got married on January 1, 2003, and we moved from San Diego to Arizona (Avondale, just west of Phoenix) in December 2003. We wanted to be able to afford a home, and it seemed pretty prohibitive in the San Diego housing market. So, we sold our condo, and we bought a a brand-new 2,400 square-foot home with a pool and spa for much less than we had sold the condo. It was a great financial decision for us, though we are sad to be so far from family and friends. Luckily, Alicia moved to Arizona shortly afterwards, so we get to see her quite a lot!

The move made sense for my job with Baker & Taylor--it's in the middle of my territory, which has now grown from just parts of Southern California and Arizona, to more parts of Southern California, Arizona, Southern Nevada, and Utah.

Chris has had several jobs; he gets bored staying with one job too long. But, he is fairly happy at his current job as rental coordinator for Cummins Rocky Mountain. The best part is that it is only 5 minutes from home. This leaves him plenty of time to do the things he really enjoys--biking, working out with weights, watching TV, and taking care of our home and animals. It also makes sense for our other major responsibilities--our apartments/condos.

Thanks to Stefanie and Francisco who recommended I read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad," Chris and I now own a bunch of apartments and condos. We do all the management ourselves, and we each do what we can when we're not at our regular jobs--maintenance, rent-collecting, financial stuff, getting new residents, etc. It is a lot of work, but when they're all rented, they run fairly smoothly. Right now, they're 100% occuppied, but knock on wood. We've got one problem unit--money issues, so we'll see what happens there. We really enjoy building our own business and saving for our retirement. And, we have lots of stories that I won't bore you with here!

As far as pets, sadly I had to put my cat Dusty down about a month ago. I adopted her when she was 3, and she was 17 when she was terribly debilitated by diabetes. She's seen me through a lot, and it was hard to let her go. We still have Chris's two cats--Chico and Moonie. We also have a pound dog, Brady; we adopted him when he was 5 months. And, we found a dog out on a walk with Brady one day, so we kept her, too. Brady is a Black Lab mix and Jessie is a German Shepard mix. We love these animals beyond reason!

I think that is all for now! Love, from Jane & Chris

No comments: